The annual Santa Claus parade in Downtown Truro is going to look a little different this year!
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the regulations mandated by the provincial government, we are unable to host the parade in its usual format.
Instead Downtown Truro will be hosting an event that emulates the spirit and vibrancy of the annual Santa Claus parade called:
“Walk Santa’s Block – The magic of the North Pole, brought to Downtown Truro!”
Instead of watching the parade, floats will be stationary and attendees will “Walk the Block” to view all the whimsical, sparkling, winter wonderland floats! Santa will also be there, roaming the block and checking out the floats for himself (while of course spreading holiday cheer!).
Here’s how it will work:
– Participating floats will be stationed in a route along various locations in Downtown Truro. Floats will be placed in The Farmer’s Market Lawn & Parking Lot, Civic Square, on Forrester Street, and adjacent business parking lots. There will be a map distributed publicly once all the float locations are finalized!
– There will be 5 hours of viewing time (between 2pm – 7pm) to assist in limiting large gatherings of people at one time.
– As attendees arrive, they will be directed to “Walk Santa’s Block” in a specific route to view the floats! Covid-19 protocols will be in place so please read through the directives for attendance below.
Interested in attending, here is what you need to know!!
As usual the parade is a FREE public event. We ask all those who attend the stationary parade to be respectful of the protocols put in place for the event. If an attendee chooses to not comply with the procedures listed below, they will be asked to leave the event.
Procedures in place to help contain the spread of COVID-19:
• All attendees (unless given exemption otherwise) will be required to wear a face covering or mask while viewing the stationary parade.
• Attendees are directed to stay home if in the past 48 hours they have had, or are currently experiencing symptoms in line with COVID-19. This includes fever (i.e. chills/sweats), cough (new or worsening), sore throat, runny nose/nasal congestion, headache or shortness of breath.
• There will be four entry points to attend the event (a map will be distributed publicly prior to the event).
– Attendees will be encouraged to enter the event at one of the four points of entry.
– At each point of entry there will be a volunteer who collects the names and phone numbers of all those attending for COVID-19 tracing purposes.
• We ask that while viewing the floats all attendees always maintain 6ft of social distance from other attendees (outside of their social bubble).
• Attendees will be directed to “Walk Santa’s Block” in a clockwise route, following the path of: Prince Street to Forrester Street to Civic Square to the Market Canopy to Young Street and back to Prince Street (a map will be distributed publicly prior to the event).
• Volunteers will be stationed and various locations to direct the flow of foot traffic and remind attendees of social distancing protocols.
• Volunteers will monitor the number of attendees at all times. Should the number of attendees exceed 250 people (as per the outdoor gathering limit for events put in place by the province of Nova Scotia), volunteers will ask attendees at the 4 entry points to wait before entering and allow time for other attendees to exit the event.
*Should there be a change in the guidelines and public health directives given by the province of Nova Scotia (between now and November 21st) the event will be cancelled if the protocols outlined above do not comply with the provincial regulations.
The Downtown Truro Partnership is excited to bring the magic of the north pole to Downtown Truro this holiday season!
Please call the DTP office (902) 895-9258 if you have any questions.
We look forward to seeing you there!!
– The Downtown Truro Staff and Board of Directors