The Colchester Historical Society continues to preserve and present Colchester County’s past by striving to offer an authentic and inclusive perspective of local history and culture through community and visitor engagement in its operation of the Colchester Historeum, a museum and archives located in Truro, Nova Scotia. Using contemporary methods of interpretation, collections management, and education, we encourage conversation, understanding, and meaningful connections between all individuals.
Please note that while Exhibits are open to visitors who purchase admission tickets, access to the Archives is available by appointment only.
The Society at a glance:
- The Museum collects, preserves and exhibits artifacts and stories related to Colchester heritage. The Historeum Shop offers you an opportunity for take-home treasures.
- The Archives preserves thousands of records, documents, publications and photos to help with historical and genealogical research. An Archives Book Mart offers local publications for purchase.
- Throughout the year, a series of public programs with informative speakers enliven our understanding of Colchester’s history.
- Heritage Awards are presented annually to individuals and groups in recognition of their contributions to preserving county heritage.
- An e-newsletter keeps our members up to date with news and feature stories about local history and our programs.
- We promote the marking of historic sites within the county and cooperate with civic officials for celebrations of a historical nature.