Downtown Truro Partnership
December 28th, 2020
The Downtown Truro Partnership and the Town of Truro have a unique partnership focused on enhancing the downtown in both appearance and activity. Through an area rate charged to the member businesses, the Town provides the core funding to the DTP for the many projects and activities conducted annually that add to the vibrancy and attractiveness of the downtown core. The DTP also supports several seasonal events on behalf of the Town of Truro. The relationship has been successful in ensuring that residents and visitors alike enjoy the true heart of the Town and want to keep coming back for more.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for the successful leadership and management of the Downtown Truro Partnership (DTP), while adhering to the strategic direction and goals of the Board.
The Executive Director will be responsible for the day to day operations of the DTP and will provide support for the development, marketing, operational and financial aspects. The Executive Director will be instrumental in the development of activities and events, including budget preparation, management of personnel. The Executive Director will actively and positively promote the DTP through social media platforms, marketing events and on-site business meetings with applicable stakeholders.
Reports To: DTP Board of Directors
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
Supervision: Administrative support staff; summer staff and volunteers
External: Businesses; residents; citizens; community groups; organizations; Local Government; Media
- Develop and foster positive relationships and teamwork with the Board of Directors;
- Develop and foster positive relationships/networking with local downtown businesses;
- Participate and attend Board of Director meetings;
- Identify, assess and inform the Board of Directors of internal and external issues that affect the organization;
- Act as a professional advisor to the Board of Directors on all aspects of the organization’s activities;
- Represent the DTP at community events and activities to enhance the organization’s community profile.
Operational Planning and Management
- Participate with the Board of Directors in developing a vision and strategic plan to guide the organization;
- Develop an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of the DTP;
- Review, revise and draft operational policies for Board approval and prepare procedures to implement policies;
- Ensure that the programs and services offered by the organization contribute to the DTP mission and reflect the priorities of the Board;
- Monitor the day-to-day delivery of programs and services to maintain or improve quality;
Human Resources Planning and Management
- Determine staffing requirements for effective and efficient service delivery;
- Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations;
- Implement and participate in a performance management process for staff on an on-going basis, ensuring that annual performance reviews are conducted;
- Coach and mentor staff as appropriate to improve performance;
- Follow a consistent progressive discipline model for staff who are failing to perform effectively and efficiently in their respective roles;
- Maintain confidential personnel files.
Financial Planning and Management
- Work with the staff and Board Treasurer to prepare a comprehensive budget;
- Work with the Board to secure adequate funding for the operation of the DTP;
- Direct and oversee the researching of funding sources; oversee the development of fund raising plans and direct/assist with writing funding proposals to increase the funds of the DTP;
- Participate in fundraising events as appropriate;
- Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board;
- Ensure effective and efficient accounting policies and procedures are followed;
- Update the Board with regular reports on revenue and expenditures of the DTP;
- Ensure that staff and the DTP are in compliance with all legislation surrounding taxation and payment remittance.
- Ensure that the Board of Directors and the DTP carries appropriate and adequate insurance coverage;
- Ensure any insurance coverage is in place and up-to-date.
- Maintain constant communication with appropriate and applicable stakeholders for information purposes and in identifying changes in the community served by the DTP;
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, politicians and other organizations to assist in achieving the goals of the DTP.
Marketing and Promotions
- Actively promote the DTP through social media, including the DTP website, Facebook and Twitter accounts;
- Coordinate and participate in DTP external events;
- Research, coordinate, and administer new project initiatives under the direction of the Board; make recommendations on any changes and/or improvements as required;
- Develop partnerships and work with DTP businesses to facilitate festivals, cultural activities and special events directed at enticing visitors to the Downtown Core;
- Develop and execute a coordinated marking and branding strategy designed to attract visitors to the Downtown Core;
- Regular and ongoing networking/relationship building with businesses and business leaders to maintain and secure development in the Downtown Core.
- Completed Grade 12 or equivalent;
- Post-secondary education in Public Relations, Marketing, Business or suitable combination of demonstrated training and experience;
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a similar position; or a demonstrated progressive increase in leadership responsibilities;
- Experience in project and program planning;
- Experience in research and grant writing;
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles as they relate to non-profit/voluntary organizations;
- Knowledge of current community challenges and opportunities relating to the mission of the DTP;
- Knowledge of human resources management;
- Knowledge of financial management;
- Knowledge of project management;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Excellent communication skills (listening, written and oral)
- Possess problem solving abilities; the ability to prioritize; be self-directing; have ability and confidence in leading a team.
- Office environment;
- Required to exercise discretion when dealing with confidential information;
- Must have a valid Nova Scotia Class 5 Drivers License;
- Must provide a Criminal Records Check with no convictions.
We welcome applications from all qualified applicants. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume no later than Friday, January 15, 2021 at 4:00pm by email to email@example.com.