The Truro area was settled by ancestors of the Mi’kmaq First Nations Indians thousands of years ago. The first permanent European settlement occurred when Acadians established the colony of Cobequid in 1703 on the tidal marshlands and adjacent lowlands. Families from New England and Northern Ireland who, at the encouragement of the Governor in Halifax, settled on the former Acadian lands established this colony some 50 years later.
In 1765 the community, comprised of some 82 individuals, received Township status from the English Crown. This status resulted in the first municipal meetings to be regularly held and allowed, one year later, the first representative of the area to be sent to the House of Assembly in Halifax. This marked the beginning of Truro’s Historical participation in the governing of Nova Scotia.
In 1875 Truro was incorporated as a Town in order to facilitate the establishment of a municipal water system and modern fire brigade serving urban population of approximately 3,000. Truro received its nickname “The Hub of Nova Scotia” at about the same time, when the Intercolonial Railway and other lines linking the province converged here. Later, as road transportation increased in importance the Town also became the “hub” of the present provincial highway network.
Today, the Town of Truro is the urban centre of Central Nova Scotia and Colchester County and has prospered and grown since its incorporation, developing a comprehensive social, commercial, and industrial infrastructure to benefit a town population today of approximately 12,000 and a regional population of 50,000.