Truro also has many business firsts including:
- the first oatmeal in Nova Scotia was manufactured here in 1820;
- the first felt hats in Canada were made here in 1866;
- the first knitted rib underwear in the world was made here in 1877;
- the first condensed milk in Canada was manufactured here in 1878;
- the first railway employee’s union in Nova Scotia was formed here in 1881;
- in 1888, Truro became the endpoint of the first long distance telephone circuit in Nova Scotia as well as the first community in the province to use electric lights in private homes and commercial buildings, and among the first to use arc street lighting.
Visit the Town of Truro website at www.town.truro.ns.ca